There are a lot of times when I'd like to be able to overcome my inability to find the perfect words and explain - really, properly explain - what I mean, or how I feel, or why I did. Most of these times are because of something personal to me - an irritation, or an exultation, or an excitement - but sometimes, it's because there is a concept or a consideration that I truly believe would make a huge improvement in the world if everyone could understand it, and think about it even a little more in their day to day lives. Unfortunately, I am nowhere near that erudite, and I've only ever been able to discuss things that well with two people before. One of them I still can.
Luckily, there are amazing, talented people out there who have the stamina and vision and thought to put these things into words. And while I (mostly) can't use their words to express how I feel, some amazing individuals among them have had the generousity to put some of their thoughts up online. So, for those of you who are open to reading what are by turns harrowing, thought provoking and extremely emotional posts, here's my ever growing list of amazing blog posts to read:
On poverty: John Scalzi's Being Poor
On 'invisible' disability: Christine Miserandino's Spoon Theory
On rape culture: Melissa McEwen's Rape Culture 101
Also from Melissa McEwen, this time on hope, optimism and working towards more.
Another, somewhat different from the others, but still as thought provoking and powerful, is Mal Brough's speech on the indigenous intervention. It's not a personal blog post, as are the others, and it's had the advantage of a work over by professional speech writers, as well as carrying the possibility of having been...polished factually for a professional political audience.
This is the list for now, but I'm sure there will be (many) edits. And I'm extremely glad that there will.
12 October 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment